News travelled quickly once the date for Bubble Buzz's Grand Opening was finally announced; to say the town was 'buzzing' about it would not only be quite punny, but also the truth. Since the building had first been erected, everyone was wondering what exactly it would be like to step inside.
And now, the opportunity had come.
The day arrived almost more quickly than Molasses could prepare for, but it was all worth it the moment she saw the sea of bright faces looking at at her as she started to unlock the front doors for entry. It was a small crowd, but enough to chill the nerves she'd had all morning.
Among them were many faces she recognized, but even more important were the ones she didn't; it was good to know that her drop in advertising while training the 'fantastic four' hadn't cost her too many customers.
"Well, everyone," Molly said exuberantly as the small crowd suddenly hushed to silence. "Bubble Buzz is officially open for business!"
The first half-hour or so was... chaotic, behind the counter. Everyone was pleasant and patient, but even Lichen didn't have time for his normal quips about how 'that woman really shouldn't be drinking this many calories' or 'that boy is way too young to be drinking caffeine'.
In fact--at least for the first day--he was incredibly wary of the espresso machine... but that may have been because it exploded on him once or twice during training.
"Can I have a... pumpkin latte?"
"Would you like the pumpkin swirl, pumpkin with extra nutmeg, vanilla pumpkin, triple pumpkin fudge, or just the regular pumpkin latte? Would you like that in Bitty, Boppity, or Bubbletastic size, how many whips, and--of course--would you like anything to dip in that?"
"... Uuuhh... Huh?"
"Ask them one at a time, Honeydew, you're going to overwhelm them! They're just as new as you are."
"Oooh... Gaaah, I'm so sorry! I'm just so excited I can barely--"
"That's fine, Dew. You're doing great."
Molly finally got a chance to escape outside after Lichen had a somewhat problematic encounter with the espresso machine ("Aaagh, the foam! It's going EVERY WHERE!"), but, thankfully there weren't many people out on the deck, yet. It gave her a bit of a chance to breathe.
"How's everything going, Paprique?" she asked as she leaned up against the juice bar.
"Riveting," he offered in a low grumble. "No one's bothered me all morning."
Molasses couldn't tell whether he was being sarcastic or not, so she just smiled and continued. "Well, everything's a little hectic, inside, if you want to go help out the kids--I'm sure things will pick up out here later in the afternoon."
Even Paprique's lack of enthusiasm couldn't bring her down today, though. As she bobbed back inside with a bounce in her step, she began to sidle up to customers and schmooze their opinions out of them.
She was particularly pleased to see that Mr. Soybean had kept his word; she spent quite a long time talking to him and his daughter before an unexpected sound erupted from the other side of the room.
I didn't hire anyone to play, today, Molly thought as her head swivelled around--but when she saw who it was, her entire face lit up.
"Merlot!" she gasped as she approached the stage. "You came!"
"Of course I came, sugar," he said with a crooked smile between two chords from the piano. "I said I'd try my best."
Molly shrugged as Merlot began to sidle away from the piano. "I know, but I honestly didn't imagine you'd be able to make it until much later, if at all." She paused nervously. "So... what do you think?"
"Honestly? This place is amazing. You really outdid yourself this time. I think there's a few kinks you'll need to work out, but overall? I'm really impressed."
Molly scowled. "What do you mean, a few kinks?"
"Well..." Merlot bit his lower lip. Great. He was really hoping she would've waited until later to ask. "Some of the people you hired are a bit... questionable."
"How so?"
"Well, the girl that took my order was a little bit... skittish, and the boy making my coffee kept giving me sour looks and mumbling things under his breath. 'Course, I know teenagers have all sorts of mood swings, but... well, your cleaning lady came up to me and yelled at me for no reason. It was a little off-putting, honestly."
"Oh, you mean Hyacinth?" Molly turned and looked, only to find Hyacinth deep within some sort of argument with herself. "Yeah, she's... a little bit of a work-in-progress."
"Work-in-progress? I'm not even sure if there's anything there TO work with," Merlot sighed.
"Look," he continued. "It's completely up to you who you do and don't hire, but I'm a little confused. When you told me you were digging through some hire-ees pasts to decide who you were going to hire, I thought it meant you were trying to weed out the bad applicants and get the ones most qualified."
"What, and you don't think I picked ones I thought were qualified?"
"I--just--I guess--I don't--" Merlot backed away a little. Fudgecicles. "Maybe?"
"Look, they may not be the smartest and the brightest and the most people friendly, but these are good people. They just need someone to give them a chance, okay?"
"I know, Molly, but--you're taking a big risk, here. What if they don't work out? I hate to say it, but I've watched things crash and burn for you before because you put too much faith in the wrong people--I care about you too much to sit and watch as you do it again."
"Don't. Don't even. I perfectly well know what's best for me. I know I've made some mistakes in the past, but this isn't going to be another one, alright?"
"Alright, but--"
"Don't 'but' me, Merlot. If you look at these people again and tell me they're not good enough, you may as well come right to my face and tell me I'm not, either. These people deserve a chance that no one else is bothering to give them--and I didn't start a new life here in Sugar Valley to become a hypocrite."
"Molly, please, I'm sorry, let's just--"
"No," she hissed underneath her breath. "You don't apologize me, you apologize to them. Now if you'll excuse me--I have work to do."
"Please--"
She turned away. "Merlot, just go. We'll talk about this later, alright?" Molly began rubbing her temples softly, now that a headache was starting to form there.
Merlot said nothing else. When Molasses refused to give him another look, his face fell and he, too, turned away--leaving Molly with the sudden, sickening feeling in her stomach that she may have taken things too far.
It shouldn't be any surprise, though--she was quite talented at that.
"Did... Did I do something wrong?" Hyacinth bobbed up beside Molly, her face half-buried in her hand.
"No, Hyacinth. You're just fine."
"It's just couldn't help it, he looked too happy and I was--"
"Cinthy. It's alright," Molly insisted with a firm voice. "It's not your fault."
Yes, maybe Hyacinth had been the catalyst, but it would have taken more than a jarring set of insults from a crazy person for Merlot to walk out that door. Some friendships are simply deeper than the questionable choices each person can make.
But, as Molly watched Merlot push the doors open and leave, she couldn't help but wonder: was this one?
Thursday, September 29, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



















Gosh. This is SO incredibly well written. And the pictures? Gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteI can't even begin to describe how absolutely wonderful this is. I love all these Simmies already, and can't wait for you to put them up for Download. I just want to cuddle and love them. This is an amazing story and I'm so excited to keep reading it.
That is so sweet of you--thank you!!! Hehe--I've always wanted to do a coffee shop drama. I like to believe there is always something nefarious afoot everywhere I go to get my daily buzz. ;)
ReplyDelete*squeeze~*
This is totally amazing! I wish I could write as well as you. I really cannot wait to read more.
ReplyDeleteI love how you've based it around a Java Joint, reminds me a bit of Sims 2 EP 'Open for Business'.
Seriously like this!!
Nice update, Kaleeko. Interested to see what happens with Molly and her band of misfit toys!
ReplyDeleteAwww, thank you so much!! x///x <33 Sorry to hear you aren't feeling very well, but I'm glad I was able to make you feel a little better! *squeeze* It means a LOT to me to hear. ♥
ReplyDeleteHehe, I'm glad to hear you like the uniforms, too--I changed them like 6 times before I started shooting, lol. ;D
Love this chapter :) you are so talented, I smile every time I see you've posted something. Made my day a lot better, which is saying something because I have the flu right now. Excited to read more of this, and I love the uniforms!
ReplyDeleteAww, it's my pleasure! <33 Was the least I could do!
ReplyDeleteMy goodness x_x That makes me super stoked!! If you manage to get caught up on it I will be both impressed AND lkahsgskalsk excited!! <33 *does a little dance* :DD *squeeze!*
Thanks for reblogging and following my tumblr! Can't wait for the next chapter! Eeep!! Right now my goal is to read your Desperate Sims blog while I anxiously wait for the next post!! :D:D:D:D:D:D
ReplyDeleteYa :( All good things can't last forever--but Molly's too proud and too hot-headed to be the first to apologize. At least, not for a while.
ReplyDeleteAnd yus--the main theme is definitely secrets. ;) And showing how they can help and hinder relationships. It's a bizarre concept but I'm having oodles of fun with it ^-^
Awwwww!!! A-dip-cited, LOL <333 That is so cute. Thank you, dear!!! You are so freakin sweet! *mwwwwwwwwaH!*
That is so good to hear!! Thank you!! :D <3 I'm glad you find their looks interesting, too--I went back and forth on a lot of them trying to decide on colorings and such. x_x
ReplyDeleteHehe, thanks ^-^ Misfit toys... lol. How true.
ReplyDeleteAwww, yay!! :D Well, hopefully it won't be too long! Thank you <3
ReplyDeleteYah, Merlot was just trying to help... Molly is a super defensive gal, though. She's got the hot-headed trait, too. XD
ReplyDeleteEeee! That gives me all sorts of warm fuzzies to hear--I wish I could share all the secrets right now, but... that would take all the fun outta the story. ;D Thanks, dear!
Oh no, I sense a rift in the friendship between Molly and Merlot. :( I guess he's just looking out for her and, well, she has her little plan but won't tell anyone what it is. lol Keeping secrets certainly isn't going to help, but then this is the main theme, isn't it, secrets? :)
ReplyDeleteNow that I've dipped it seems that I'm, a-dip-icted! More please! <3
P.S I love the characters, they all have such interesting looks.
ReplyDeleteLoving this so far :D Can't wait to discover all of their secrets!
ReplyDeleteYou don't understand how excited I am to read what happens next. I can't wait. XD
ReplyDeleteI love love loved this post! Poor Merlot, I felt kind of bad when Molly snapped at him. I hope he forgives her! Can't wait to see what happens next! I love this story and I'm dying to know all the secrets. :)
ReplyDelete:)
ReplyDeleteAnd I am dying to share!!! :X
ReplyDelete:DDD Thank you so much, darling! Honestly, I cannot express how glad I am I started this story--it is SO much fun!! <33
ReplyDeleteI'm dying to see what's next!!
ReplyDeleteI am so engrossed in all of this #_# Wow it's incredible!
ReplyDeletelol Yes, the shop's a bit chaotic at the moment--but time has a way of smoothing over everything. ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks, doll!
Heheh... Molly's intentions are all over the place, really. x_x You're right not to trust everything she says, though! ;) I just can't say what you should and what you shouldn't... bwahaha. >:3
ReplyDeleteOooohh--that is an incredibly keen observation, m'dear! I am jealous of your eye for detail! I wouldn't say you're reading too much into it--it wasn't intentional, but that doesn't make it untrue. *However*, there is an intentional correlation between the brightness of Bubble Buzz's atmosphere and the drabness of Molly's office and house--that anyone picked up on that in the least really baffles me. <333
Thank you so much for your comments, sweetie!!
x/////x lol... I hit embarrassment levels a looonggg time ago, missy!! But seriously, thank you--it means a lot to me to hear!!
ReplyDelete*snickers* I think it's safe to say, Paprique and Merlot are the only two people that Molly feels okay opening up to... and she doesn't like being that vulnerable. It has interesting consequences. XD
Trust me, I am DYING to tell what each secret is, but... It's going to be a long, long time on some of them. So, buckle in tight. ;)
And yes, I would love to have the Frascatis! I DID get your email, but I as usual my air-headedness got the best of me and I read it and totally forgot to respond. x_x I'll send you a response in a couple mins!
Thank you, dear!! <3333
The buzz is buzzing and very busy. Looks like some things do need more ironing out.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to the next bit.
Oh :( Poor Molly. If those were her real intentions, then I think she has a heart of gold. However, I've come to expect that not everything is how it seems on the surface. ;)
ReplyDeleteThe last picture seriously breaks my heart, though. Even the surroundings are poetic in a way; even amidst all the brightly colorful decorations, there's still a permeating sense of sadness...and even some dark secrets. :O
And now I have the overwhelming sense that I'm reading too much into this, lol.
Hyacinth. Hyacinth. Hyacinth!!! I LOVE HER!!
ReplyDeleteIn fact I just loved how you ended that entire chapter. Still can't get over your characterisation skills. BUT I'm going to stop fan-girling now, because there's only so much praise a person can take before they get embarrassed ^_^
I can't help but think that Molly isn't quite as in control as she'd like to make out. especially not when Merlot's around. (and to some extent, Paprique... *waggles eyebrows*) and I'm dyinggg to know everyone's secrets, of course xD
Loved seeing sims from other legacies milling around!! I did send an email to you after you said about maybe using the Frascati's, but I guess you didn't get it. Is kaleeko@gmail the right email?
ANYWAY. loved the chapter, and can't wait for the next!!! :] <3
This isn't pulling me along it's making me scramble desperately at the wheel on my mouse as I try to see what is next yet take in every detail at the same time!
ReplyDeleteThis is not just a story, it's a piece of art.
ReplyDeleteThe words, the pictures. It's all so very well done! I am so excited to see what will happen next.
Im in love with this. Forever.
ReplyDelete