Monday, September 19, 2011

Chapter 1, Part 2: Sweet Dreams

"As you may already know, my name is Molasses Macchiato."


Molly stared across her desk, keeping a cool demeanor despite the trembling nerves she harbored deep beneath her skin. She had every reason to be nervous; these people were here interviewing for a job they hadn't requested. Not intentionally, at least.

They had all been looking for work of some kind, though--they'd just never applied to work at Bubble Buzz... not that anyone had ever been given the option to. Bubble Buzz's employment qualifications had been a mystery--until now.


She took a deep breath and cleared her throat. "I know you didn't apply to work here, and I know this isn't the job you'd ideally apply for, but that doesn't matter. I hand picked you from a list of candidates, for reasons I'll disclose after I ask you a few brief questions. Understand: I'm not asking you to work at a coffee shop. I'm asking you to work for me.'

"Now," Molasses continued, flipping idly through a few papers in front of her. "First: why don't you tell me a little about yourself."


"Well... My name is Paprique Le Pepper. I am a writer... Was. Was a writer."


"I'm Honeydew Melopepo! My family and I moved to Sugar Valley a couple of months ago, and so far I think I like it here except for the weather, it doesn't really get a lot of rain and I kinda miss all my friends back at Twizzlerbrook, but--oh, sorry. I guess that doesn't matter, huh!'

"Anyways, I'm a junior in High School, I love stage productions... ya know, the spotlight, the audience, performing. I'm also a straight-A student, of course--not that my parents would tolerate anything less than that, if you get what I mean! Personally, I don't think it's worth doing anything unless you can be good at it--and trust me, I am always good."


"Kind of a weird question, isn't it? You're the one who asked me here for an interview, obviously you already know who I am. If you want to know something, you're gonna have to be way more specific, hotcakes... but first, why'd you hand pick me? Was it the looks? The brains?"

"I'm the one asking the questions, Mr. Moss. Your questions will be answered in due time."

"Call me Lichen. I ain't quite a 'mister' yet, toots."


"Your office is very strange. Tiki. Weird... You some sort of aborigine?"

"I'm from the Cocoabean Islands. Hyacinth--please, sit down."


"Here's a pretty standard customer service question: Let's say you make a beverage for a customer, and they tell you you made it wrong... What would you do?"


"I would make them another one... obviously..."


"Make them a beverage wrong?! Are you kidding me?! I used to make espressos for my mother all the time, I've had so much practice it would be practically impossible for me to mess up. I'm pretty sure they'd have to be crazy to dislike my coffee. The most obvious reason would be that they're trying to score a freebie, at which point I'd have to tell them to leave because NO WAY am I catering to beggars and whiners!"


"Tell 'em to stick it up their @#&$! Nah nah--nah I'm kiddin', don't give me that look! Seriously, I'd probably just give them a coupon for a free one or something. If they don't like my coffee, they can just come back later and annoy some other barista for it. No reason to do it myself."


"Scalding hot coffee... into their face..."


"So, tell me: why are you currently looking for work?"


"... I... am no longer writing. Do I need any more reason than that."


"For lots of reasons I guess, but the biggest right now is that my parents want me to learn some responsibility. Of course, I'm already plenty responsible, but I should  humor them anyways, right? Getting experience at a job will make it easier to apply someplace later on, too, and I want to be plenty ready once I'm about to graduate! I just like being busy, too. Idle hands are never good, don't you think?"


"Are you serious? Why wouldn't someone want a job?"

"Yes, but I'm asking why you want one."

"Honestly? I'm really. Really. Bored... though having a few extra bucks to upgrade my computer won't really hurt, either. Is that good enough? Or do I need to spill my guts about how I want to buy my mom flowers or some $@*%#?"

"Lichen."

"Oh--sorry! Thought you'd be cool with that, being a chocolate berry and all."

"LICHEN!"

"Jeez, don't be so sensitive!"


"... Your lamp is looking at me funny."


"Now, what would you say is your best, most employable quality?"


"Dedication."


"I have to pick one? Oh... I guess I'd have to say, my ability to think on my feet and improvise!"


"Well, I would probably say my dashing good loo--"

"Lichen, please, be serious."

"Fiiinnee... I guess I'd say, I can figure out just about anything--I learn quick, and I never forget."


"... Employable... None."


"Now, I want you to think about this next one very, very carefully. This is the most important question I will ask you, and I want you to be completely honest. There's no shame in the truth. I want to know...'

"Could someone trust you to keep a secret, if their life depended on it?"


With one question, it was as if Molly had suddenly zapped her interviewees to life. With the exception of Honeydew, they had all been unattentive and bored--but something in this question, and the very nature of it, caused their faces to fall into something Molasses rarely ever got to see: Pure, urgent sincerity.

"Yes." "Totally."Completely." "Always."



They weren't going to win any prizes for Interviewee of the Year. In fact, most employers would probably turn green at what Molasses just endured--but no, not her. Where others would only see a waste of time, she saw exactly what she was looking for. There was a reason they were all unemployed, that they'd stoop low enough to accept a job at a coffee shop... but the way Molly saw it, their lack of social prowess gave them skills much more valuable to her.

Sure, they were a bunch of misfits, but they were misfits with something crucial in common. Something Molly's business couldn't survive without.

Molasses took a deep breath, a smile on her lips. "That's just what I wanted to hear."

29 comments:

  1. First off, everything and everyone in this story is gorgeous, and I feel like that's going to be my main comment throughout this story.

    I'm with Merlot, I hate working in the afternoon. As much as I dislike waking up early in the morning, I'd rather get my day over and done with.

    And as I predicted, I now have a massive crush on Paprique. Sarcastic mysterious writers... my weakness. But I also adore Like, so it's going to be hard for me to choose.

    And as I also predicted, I seriously love Hyacinth (and okay, maybe she reminds me of me a bit). Neurotic and violent. A girl after my own heart.

    I absolutely adore all of your characters. They're each so unique and interesting, and I'm really excited to get to know more about them. I'm quite interested to see how it all unfolds!

    Mmmmmm intrigue. So curious to know what Molly's really doing, or what she needs them for... and what exactly she knows about them!

    As this is my one of my first real forays into a Berry Sweet story, I vaguely know that some of these sims are from other stories, but I wouldn't be able to say which ones, so I'll probably pester you later about where they're all from. I think I recognize a few from Angie's and such but beyond that, I'm a clueless newb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I. LOVE. THIS.

    You make such pretty sims:D and I always love the layouts of your blogs, they are beautiful! I look forward to seeing how this story goes! I love love love the header at the top of this site:)
    well, time to keep reading,..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is delightful! A very intriguing start to what promises to be a very entertaining story. I look forward to seeing how these four misfits fit in with whatever Molasses has planned. Not to mention that I'd love to get me some Lichen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo super intriguing i love all the characters already and can't wait to find out what Molasses has planned :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to say I'm in love with this story. The whole mystery around your characters have me completely hooked. I can tell it's only going to get even more interesting the further along you go. I can't wait to read more. =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it. They are an interesting bunch. They mystery surrounding her and why she picked them def has me hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehehe!! Yes, yes, a little bit dumb. ;) Mostly naive, but adorable nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha, I love Honeydew. She is really cute. And dumb. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, MJ! <3 They're quite bizarre, but I have a blast writing them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting interview! With so many interesting characters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eeeexactly. ;) I def wanted to seem like the most undesirable people possible--just to make it all that much more confusing why Molly would want them specifically.

    I'm glad I've got you interested--thanks, dear! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well but of course! ;) Gotta keep you all hooked for later!

    Hyacinth is pretty bizarre, but there's a lot more to her than her crazy exterior shows--she's going to be easily the longest and hardest character to unveil, though. For now, though, she's gonna be a bit of comic relief to the story. ;)

    I'm glad that you like Honeydew! She's a tad annoying, but you pretty much hit the nail on the head--she may act cocky, but she's really just totally insecure.

    Thank you, lovie!! *tacklesmoooooch~!* <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, thank you so much!! <333

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I would never hire these people lol. This is like an HR's worst nightmare lol. I am very interested to see where this story goes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Of course you had to end it with a cliff hanger!

    The short interview process cracked me up.
    Not sure if I like Hyacinth or not. 'You some sort of aborigine?' & 'Scalding hot coffee... into their face...' Hahahaha!

    Honeydew is a sweetie. I can see her stumbling around and possibly making many mistakes while serving coffee, hee hee. I think her cuteness would stop any customer from being angry. lol

    Great job Kaleeko and looking forward to seeing what Molly has in store her candidates! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this story!! You have so much talent and you writing is fantastic and very very good! I love what you've done with this story, it's so unique and I can't wait to continue reading it. Keep up the great work! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tee hee! Yes, yes indeed... I am such a sucker for plot twists. ^-^
    And--my lips are sealed. ;)
    Thank you!!! <33

    ReplyDelete
  18. Waaah, you... just YOU. I never know what to say to you, except I adore the mittens off you. T_T You just make me feel all... yeah. Speechless. *glomp~!*

    Oh man, though... I do think everything through, probably a bit too much. Dream about it, spend hours writing it all down on paper and editing and beating the stuffing out of it til it works. Probably not the most efficient writing style, but it must be doin something right! x_x

    ReplyDelete
  19. T_T You are making me melt into a puddle here, girl!! LOL Your assessment of the characters is spot on! I def will say, they all have a LOT more to them lurking under the surface, but only time will tell what! And I'm glad you liked the interview intros--I will admit, I was a bit proud of myself for coming up with that.

    Gah, I am gushing and blushing so hard over here. I am SO excited to be writing a berry sweet story, and I am so ubertastically happy you are too! Now, all I need is about 10 more hours in a day so I can churn out updates AND keep on top of all my reading... x_x

    ReplyDelete
  20. x///////x <333! Awwww, yay!! I really can't wait, either!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hehehe!! I will admit, I had a LOT of fun designing the characters for this story, both in looks and personality--it's could probably just write posts of these guys interacting with no plot and be entertained. It's def a lot different than watching the Kanes evolve, that's for sure!

    LOL--yeeaaah, I may be a tiny bit in love with Paprique, too. I had a feeling you'd go for the dark and broody writer type. ;) I'm so glad you're already falling in love with the chars, though! My evil plan is unfolding nicely, bwa ha hahaha~!

    And don't worry, you're free to ask whos and whats anytime, though I'll probably start up a Guest sim listing once I get the site a bit more fleshed out. :3

    Thanks so much, Sara! You always make me feel like I have a #1 fan. ♥_♥!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awww, thank you so much bebe!! *tacklesmooch* I dunno about perfect, but hearing you say that just sends me all sorts on top of the moon. Now I can't wait to keep going!!
    ~~ <333333!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow just brilliant! I have a feeling we'll see many twists and turns!
    also, this may just be my high school oriented mind but.. I'm suspecting drugs XD

    ReplyDelete
  24. there is a lot of telling going on in my comment... schweet.

    ReplyDelete
  25. well I am just baffled. baffled, I tell you! I can tell you've thought this through, and I'm pretty convinced I'll be baffled maybe twenty, thirty or even a hundred times more throughout the process.

    I would marry your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh god this is just awesome.. Molly is deliciously manipulative, and I just can't wait to see what's running through that cocoabean head of hers xD I loved how you used the interview as a way of introducing your characters, so clever!!
    Guess I'd better work my way through them then, huh?
    Paprique - love. so much love for his sarcastic, social-skill-lacking mannerisms. just awesome.
    Honeydew - HMMM. I'm waiting to see how she turns out in the story, but so far I don't think she's quite the "perfect daughter" she seems to be trying to portray herself as (trying being the key word here).
    Lichen - hahaha he makes me laugh, and cringe at the same time :L
    Hyacinth - adorablyamazinglyfantastic. from her very first sentence I was in love.
    Brilliant brilliant stuff Kaleeko!! You are one of my favourite writers everrr, and so you + berry sweet.. well, it's almost a little too much for my fangirlishness to handle :]

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOVE This so much, I could squeedle right now! You go girl! AHHHH I cannot wait for the next piece :]

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is an amazing start! I am super intrigues as to where you are going to take this! As usual with your work it was utterly perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Shesimsalot/BeautycooJanuary 9, 2012 at 6:28 PM

    "I thought you'd be cool with that being a chocolate berry and all" WIN. HE IS A WINNER.
    I love this so far! So yeah, that, keep writing and I'll be here. C:

    ReplyDelete

About This Blog

"Dipped" is a Berry Sweet Sims 3 story about the lives and secrets of the employees of Sugar Valley's newest java joint, the Bubble Buzz.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP