Sweet dreams are made of thisWho am I to disagree?Travel the world and the seven seasEverybody's looking for somethingSome of them want to use youSome of them want to get used by youSome of them want to abuse youSome of them want to be abused- Sweet Dreams, Eurythmics -
There's a place in-between dreams and reality that Molasses always found comforting. She could feel the ebb and flow of her thoughts, but they didn't string her along like a marionette; she could hear the sounds of far-off cars and distant children, but they didn't coax her awake. It was a level of serenity she could only reach here, between two worlds.
They weren't the only two worlds she was stuck between, though--there was still the dilemma she was trying to escape from in the first place. But Molasses could not sleep and avoid it forever.
"Molly. Molly. You need to wake up." She felt a tender grasp on her wrist, trying to shake her to consciousness. "It's almost 4 o'clock. You're going to be late."
Molasses's lips tugged into a smile. "Dey can wait, mah bizness ain't goin' no-place. Now shuddup 'n let meh sleep."
Her fingers traced the lips pressed against her hair: she felt a smile. Unfortunately though, her companion was just as stubborn as she. "Don't give me that Cocoabean Island attitude, girl. You know I know you better than that. C'mon... wakie wakie."
Molasses was quite intent on ignoring him, but once he slid out from under her, the cold breeze coming through the window felt like icicles against her skin. "Ugh, Merlot, that's so not cool," Molly grumbled, roughly blinking her eyes as she tried to push herself up. "I was getting up... just... slowly."
"Uh huh," Merlot chuckled, shaking his head at her. "Sure you were. Just like the last nap you took here."
"Hey, that doesn't count," she groaned in retort. "I'd been lifting boxes all day, I deserved a break!"
"Mhm. You just keep tellin' yourself that, cocoabean."
Molly rolled her eyes as she stretched, finally getting a small energy boost to get out of bed--even if it was from a sudden desire to kick Merlot's behind. One that doubled once she turned around and saw him splayed out over where she'd been laying.
"What, so I have to get up and you're just gonna stay in bed?"
"Hey, it's not like I booked an entire evening of interviews. I know better than to work past the afternoon."
"And you're just going to lay here for the rest of the night?"
"Yep."
"Man, why do I even bother with you," Molasses groaned and facepalmed, turning away before she got the urge to shove him onto the floor.
Merlot sniggered and shrugged. "I keep asking myself the same question."
"So... I've been meaning to ask," Molasses had started tugging on her clothes, but mid-button on her shirt she turned about to face the lazing man. "Why'd you call me over? I thought we weren't doing this this anymore."
"We weren't... Things changed."
"Oh? What happened to that pretty little cream puff you were chasing? She sprout feathers 'n fly away?"
"Basically. She found someone else, I guess."
"Oh. Well... I'm sorry, Lo. I knew you had her heart set on her." Being comforting wasn't exactly Molly's 'thing', but a little twist in her gut wished she could do at least something. It was weird, seeing Merlot like this. "'Least you got me as a fallback, though, right?"
"Ha. Yeah. I guess." Merlot shifted slightly, shaking his head. "Only a matter of time 'til you find someone else, too."
Molasses had to try very hard not to choke on a guffah in her throat. Yeah, she thought to herself. I wish.
Once she was fully dressed, Molly turned towards the mirror and took a good look at her reflection. She tried to fix her hair, but it looked like 'bed-head' was going to be the fashion of the evening. At least Merlot had been careful not to smudge her makeup all over the place.
As she reached up to tug on her collar to try and flatten it, she noticed Merlot's reflection looking at her--rather intently, at that. Molly smirked. "What're you lookin' at?"
"Mm, just thinkin'."
"'Bout?"
He smiled. "You actually clean up kinda nice."
"Hey, what's that supposed to mean?!"
"Nothing! I just haven't seen you dressed up like this much--it's nice. I guess now that you're on your way to being a successful business woman, though, it's going to be the standard."
"I dunno about that, Merlot. The shop ain't even open yet, I wouldn't speak too soon."
"Molly, you could sell a fridge to an eskimo... I'm sure you'll do fine."
After some untranslatable murmurings under Molly's breath, she at last gave way to a semi shrug. "If you say so."
Merlot smiled--and as she looked and faced him, his face lit up even further. "You know Mol, I'm really proud of you. I know things were rough for you on the Islands, but you've totally turned your life around. You've got a whole new start here in Sugar Valley... it'll be worth it."
"But."
"... But what?"
"Don't try an' fool me, Lo. I adore you, but every time you try and give me a compliment, there's always a but. So... what is it this time."
"Molly, I really didn't want to bring this up, you're just about to leave--"
"Save it Merlot, I'm not a pastry--I won't crumble if you tell me the truth." Molasses swiftly approached the bed, sat down next to him, and began to tug on her shoes. "C'mon, shoot."
"I just--well--it's just.. the way you found these people to hire. With how far you've come, I just really don't want you to get in trouble. This... well... not only is it a little unethical, but what if they say no?"
"They won't say no."
"You're so sure of that? You haven't even met any of them, yet."
"Oh, I'm positive, Merlot. If there's one thing I understand, it's people like this. I've got an offer none of them can refuse--and if they try... well, I'll just blackmail them."
"Molly--"
"I'm kidding, Lo. Just trust me. I know what I'm doing."
"Alright, but I--" Merlot was cut off when Molly stood and leaned over to plant an unexpected kiss on the corner of his lips.
"No more talkie," she said after another quick peck. "I gotta go. I have four people I need to go convince to work for me--I need to be on my game. Wish me luck?"
"All the luck in the world, Cocoabean. You're gonna need it."
As irritating as Merlot's wakeup call was, it did do Molasses one favor: she had plenty of extra time to get to the shop before her employees-to-be would be there. Walking in heels was a pain, but a pain that was worth the fresh air she'd get on a brief trek across town instead of grabbing a cab. And she definitely needed the time to think.
She didn't like admitting it, but Merlot had a point. She was treading a fine line. In order to find the perfect candidates to work for her, she'd ignored some pesky little things called "laws" and dug up everything she needed to find the exact kind of people she desired. All it would take is for one of them to turn her in for her entire world to come crashing down. She had everything to lose--but it was worth it.
Merlot didn't know why she needed these four specific berries, and he'd never understand if he did. He didn't understand the game she liked to play. As much as he liked to pretend otherwise, Merlot was a good boy.
Molasses... was not.
But that's not something anyone else had to know.
"Hey Mr. Soybean! How're those inventions of yours coming?"
"Ms. Macchiato! Oh, they're just fine, taking a day to spend with the wife, though."
"Tell the Mrs. I said hi! And don't forget, shop opens next week--I better see you there!"
Not two blocks later, Molasses caught a flash of bright green hair out of the corner of her eye. "Oh hey Mrs. Frosting--you're looking fabulous today! Sorry, no time to talk, got interviews today. Wish me luck!"
On any other day, she would have loved to stop. Molly had a particular talent for winning the hearts of anyone she talked to, and as a budding entreprenuer, it was smart to make use of it as much as possible. Even after only 6 months of living in Sugar Valley, she knew its residents better than those of her hometown in the Cocoabean Islands--but in sharp contrast, no one knew much about her. Not really.
What little they did know, though, was that she'd come across the sugary seas to make a new life for herself. There were some theories on how she'd met Merlot that floated about, ranging from a Cocoabean cruise to an internet chatroom, but her motives for coming to the mainland weren't very clear. A hefty set of loans and several months later, though, she began working on making her dreams come true.
An ocean-side property was purchased, a shining blue building was erected, and the pungent smell of coffee beans led every citizen of the valley to a sign posted out front: Bubble Buzz, coming soon!
What laid inside was something of a fairy tale. Not to the typical residents of Sugar Valley, no--confectioneries were a dime a dozen in these parts--but to Molasses, it was something else entirely. Beneath the brightly painted walls and candy-coated floors, this wasn't just any ol' coffee shop. It was a dream that had taken flight:
The perfect cover
for the perfect enterprise.













Wow...this is an interesting start. I love your writing style, so very descriptive.
ReplyDeleteAw, thank you~! <333
ReplyDeleteWow, very interesting start!
ReplyDeleteHehe, no worries! <3 You could pry always use your Twitter account instead, but just do whatever's easiest--as long as 'MJ' is somewhere in there, I'll know it's you! :D
ReplyDeleteVery good writing! Excellent!
ReplyDeleteVery good writing! Excellent. Lol, my real name is going to show up if I use google account. but this is me: M.J.
ReplyDeleteI get it. Yeah I noticed your intro after I read your story. I read it last night before going to bed as I got a pop up on my google reader. Sorry about that. Looking forward to more post.
ReplyDeleteThanks! :D I briefly covered 'why' in my intro post, but basically, I an idea for sort of a 'coffee shop drama' as something to become part of Desperate Sims, but I realized that by doing that not only would I have to wait forever, but it would detract from a lot of other things I wanted to do with that story.
ReplyDeleteSo, I basically decided that it was better to just try something TOTALLY new, which is why I decided to do it with Berry sims as well--I love DS, but I wanted something to take me out of that world and into something totally new!
Awww, thank you Jen!! <33
ReplyDeleteAdmittedly, when I first discovered Berry sim stories I really didn't quite understand why people liked them so much, but the more I read them the more I saw how fun they were--there's definitely a whole different look to them, but even the world and the community behind it is different. It's new to me, but I've definitely been having a a bundle of fun so far! <3
Wow, this is very exciting. What made you want to write a new story?
ReplyDeleteJaLoDe
Oooooooooh! Hee hee, I really luv this!
ReplyDeleteMust admit I'm a big lurker of these 'Berry' sim story blogs. I'm not sure what it is but I just find them deliciously entertaining. lol Could be that it's a nice change from seeing everyday normal skin toned sims all the time. ;)
Wonderful start, off to read part two! <3
Yay! :D That's definitely something I love to hear. <3
ReplyDeleteAs for Molly--well... you'll just have to wait and see. ;)
<3333 *tango dip smooch*
ReplyDelete<33 Yay!! Thank you! x///x
ReplyDeleteHee--yeah, the Disqus login system is a bit wonky, still taking me a little bit of getting used to. ^^
Intrigued to say the least! Wonder how bad of a berry she really is.
ReplyDeleteStunning!
ReplyDelete*squeals*
ReplyDeleteso... I'm already in love with the world you've created here.. :] it's brilliantly done, of course!!
edit: sorry about the name, this is Callie >.< cousin's account!!
This is great! <3
ReplyDelete-goes to part 2-